17 July 2008

Introspection


My wife sent me this link: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

She claims that it’s me to a tee. And it is:



Do you know someone who needs hours alone every day? Who loves quiet conversations about feelings or ideas, and can give a dynamite presentation to a big audience, but seems awkward in groups and maladroit at small talk? Who has to be dragged to parties and then needs the rest of the day to recuperate? Who growls or scowls or grunts or winces when accosted with pleasantries by people who are just trying to be nice?



Well, that’s dead on. I mean, really dead on. Especially the part about being “on” in front of a big audience but otherwise maladroit in small talk situations. Of course, I’ve always described myself as “shy”, which apparently isn’t entirely correct:



Introverts are not necessarily shy. Shy people are anxious or frightened or self-excoriating in social settings; introverts generally are not. Introverts are also not misanthropic, though some of us do go along with Sartre as far as to say "Hell is other people at breakfast." Rather, introverts are people who find other people tiring.



Um, well I do find myself sometimes lapsing into misanthropy. What’s more, the question of being “anxious ... in social settings” is neatly answered by my need to be slightly medicated for the past two years. So I guess “not necessarily shy” doesn’t mean it isn’t possible to be both shy and introverted. Joy.

Check the article out to better understand the arrogant misanthrope... er, I mean misunderstood genius... in your family!

No comments: