7 November 2011

Study Attempt: Andrew Loomis

This one was a surprising slog, especially after the successes of my Lion In Winter and Ms. Marvel pieces.  The result depresses me.  I suppose I should have spent more time on my drafting before I switched to the painting, and that's obviously part of the problem.

Not doing my due diligence at the drafting stage of an Andrew Loomis knock-off is self-defeating, I guess, but sometimes I just want to get straight to the painting/experimenting part of the job.  This really shouldn't have been tried "speed paint" style.

I expect in the future to try more knock-off work.  J.C. Leyendecker, Alex Raymond, and a host of other vintage greats are all waiting to be butchered.
 

Source: A screen capture of Loomis's work (no tracing or image manipulation--obviously)
Time: 1 1/2 - 2 hours (ugh).
Using: Painter X, some fidgeting in Photoshop
Brushes: too many to list, all in an effort to approximate Master Loomis.

No comments: